Farmstead record HXN 137 - Farmstead: Chickering Corner Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2055 7639 (127m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||HOXNE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Chickering Corner Farm, Hoxne. 16th century farmstead farmhouse. Regular courtyard full plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF7647 Map: 1840. Hoxne Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 11:35AM