Building record CLA 148 - The goods shed at Clare Railway Station
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7707 4514 (27m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
The goods shed at Clare Railway Station is situated to the west of the station and was built for the Great Eastern Railway in 1865. It is the only survivor of eleven examples built to the 1865 type design, and forms an element of the station which is the only surviving example of a medium size GER 1865 type station to retain a full set of buildings. These include the goods shed, station buildings and platform shelter (Monument HOB UID 868916). The crane, situated outside the building, is not original to the site but was donated in 2004, it is however, rare surviving example of the kind of crane used at 1865 type stations.
In 1923 the GER became part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), and the line became important during the Second World War, carrying construction material for new aerodromes. The goods yard could hold up to fifty wagons, and a movable crane was in place to lift heavier crates and items. The goods yard closed in 1966 and was followed by the station in 1967. The crane, railway tracks and signal pylons were all removed.
The goods shed is constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond with a slate roof. It has a small projection on the west side, which was originally the railway clerk's office, and a 20th century extension on the south side. It is now in use as a museum.
The goods shed is a grade II Listed Building. For the designation record of this site please see The National Heritage List for England.
- <S1> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2021 11:11AM