Monument record IPS 003 - Recreation Ground, Portman's Walk, Ipswich, (IAS 9605), (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 155 445 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pre 1930: One unretouched blade, 19cm long, one backed blade. "Beneath loamy peaty deposit", collected by Col Underwood. Source needs checking for location of findspot.
Billington (S4) regards these as Terminal Palaeolithic. See also (S5, S6)
Possibly the same as IAS 9601 (IPS 004), (S1-S3).
- <S1> SSF56334 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1930. Ancient Man in the Gipping—Orwell Valley, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version)..
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive.
- <S4> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 200.
- <S5> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 258.
- <S6> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 328.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2020 4:00PM