Find Spot record IPS 055 - Corner of College Street and Foundary Lane, Ipswich, (IAS 6401).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 164 440 (25m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1857: Bronze vessel (Roman?) found in the garden(?) of Cardinal Wolsey's College (see IPS 275). Purchased by BM 1857 (S1). Two fibulae and a chain in Bury Museum (S1) as is another bronze chain in Norwich Castle Museum (S1) listed as from TM 1642 4406 by OS (S2) which is in Foundry Lane, a quite separate location to Wolsey's College.
1899: Pair of bone skates with skeleton of a youth at depth of 11 feet, in old river mud, found in East corner of Foundry Lane and College Street, (S6).
See also (S2-S5).
- --- SSF57698 Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 311.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SE21.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 6401.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 6401.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG card 1920-74.27.
- <S6> SSF55984 Article in serial: Layard, N.F.. 1899. Recent discoveries on the site of the Carmelite Convent of Ipswich, and the old river quay. The old river quay. X.2, pp. 183–188..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2017 2:45PM