Monument record HLY 021 - Earthwork mound on Lower Hollesley Common
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3494 4637 (49m by 47m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Oval, slightly banana-shaped mound very much obscured by bracken and scrub, but probably 10 to 15m long by about 8m wide and 1m high. Appears to be mutilated. Possibly a warren mound or a military earthwork (S1). There is a local tradition that it 'was much higher before troops got at it during the war' (S2).
2006: still extant in birch woodland covered in bracken (S3).
October 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The oval mound described above was visible on aerial photographs (S4) at this location, and is still partially visible on Lidar imagery (S5). It seems likely, given its location, that it relates to a warren mound or World War Two activity in the area.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th October 2015.
- <S1> SSF18038 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1984.
- <S2> SSF18202 (No record type): SAU (West S E), 1984.
- <S3> SSF50483 Unpublished document: Rolfe, J.. 2006. Archaeological earthwork evaluation report, Land Holdings of the Suffolk Wildlife Trust at Upper Hollesley Common.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5007-5008 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM3446 Environment Agency 2m DTM 30-NOV-2010.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Hollesley common earthwork survey (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-21428) (ESF19141)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12037)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34NW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23316)) (ESF23318)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 5:35PM