Find Spot record IPS 079 - Belstead Hills Estate, Ipswich, (IAS 9402, IAS 9403).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 136 427 (point)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1968: Five gold torcs found in construction work. Declared Treasure Trove. The five torcs originally found, all gold alloyed with proportion of silver, vary in weight from 27 to 33 ounces, circa 8 inches diameter, hoop of each made from 2 rods twisted together. One has plain ring terminals, other four are decorated with embossed ornament typical of what may be termed Snettisham class. Scratches present from chasing or chiselling, unfinished, plain one at earlier stage of manufacture. Hidden for safety? Not finished and therefore unlikely to be votive. 1st Century BC
1970: a sixth torc, 'found in garden of 50 Holcombe Crescent,about 200 ft. from' above torcs, in soil probably moved from original findspot (S2), has hoop made up from two pairs of bars. Probably of same workshop as the rest (see Ulceby, Lincolnshire and Glascote, Staffordshire torcs as comparisons with this one).
- <S1> SSF1435 Article in serial: Brailsford, J. W.. 1968. A hoard of Early Iron Age gold torcs from Ipswich.. Brailsford J, PSIA, 31,1968, 158-9 (ill).
- <S2> SSF56380 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1970. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1970. PSIA, 32,1970, 87 & 98 (6th torc).
- <S3> SSF55973 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1968. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1968. PSIAH, 1968, XXXI.2, pp. 188–201..
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1973-38, 1973.
- <S5> SSF280 Article in serial: Mary Aiken Littauer. 1971. Notes and News, Antiquity, 55, 1971, 294 - 6. Antiq, 55, 1971, 294 - 6.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 12:19PM