Monument record BCG 004 - RAF Wattisham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 032 513 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BRICETT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Occupation site on road (Coddenham - Melford) investigated in 1930's. Probable location derived from surviving records (IPSMG). Situated on an E slope near a spring.
Roman road (part of). Margary 34a, Coddenham to NE of Long Melford (S2). See RGL 006. Road sectioned: just under 40 feet between ditches; 16 feet "paving". Pits etc.
Finds included brick, tile. Coins Antoninus and Tetricus. Pottery ? C2-C3, ? Belgic derived coarse ware.
Previously recorded as BCG Misc Rom & WAM Misc Rom.
26.2.1946 Basil Brown met (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) who had been working on the aerodrome construction in the 1930s and was told that they had found a large quantity of charcoal, Roman pottery and one coin which broke during cleaning. The site was near two isolated cottages which were being demolished. 14.12.1946. Basil Brown was shown a Roman ring amongst the new additions at Moyses Hall Museum, which was either bronze or brass and thought to be part of an object, not a finger ring. A sketch of the ring shows a lump on it which is not clearly describable and which is, presumably, still held by Moyses Hall Museum (S1).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 26; XXXVIII, 121; LXVII, 27, 28; XCVI, 198, 213.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1938-245; 1951-267.
- <S2> SSF10771 (No record type): Margary, I.D.. 1967. Roman Roads in Britain (2nd ed). Margary, Roman Roads in Britain, 1967.
- <M2> SSF41120 (No record type): Hanging cabinet: copies of IPSMG finds drawings.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 30 2009 8:32AM