Monument record RGL 002 - Chapel Farm Moated Site
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 047 516 (81m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||RINGSHALL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Chapel Farm Moated Site. Manor, with the chapel of Ringshall, was granted to Hoxne cell of St Edmund in 1294 (HXN 017).
An irregular but broad moat adjoining Chapel Farm (which according to (S4) once included remains of a chapel, apparently destroyed in a rebuilding of circa 1910). The chapel was tended by a monk of Hoxne, who had a cell there - probably on the moated area (which has considerable humps of buildings) - if so, he was well set up for one man and attendants, and the site is a rare type. A quarter of a mile to the W levelling revealed much Med pottery, early and late, but no structural remains (S1). The location of this chapel is very problematic - see RGL 013 & RGL 005 for more likely alteratives.
1981: Moat wet and weed free. Interior under grass and old fruit trees & several old sheds and a square concrete structure standing to 1 ft or so approx 5m square (S1).
1986: (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) says that the moat was cleared out in 1976. The moated area is under grass, which is cropped short by ducks and geese. There area few sheds, and scattered trees, including old apple, ash, chestnut & beech. Some of them planted fairly recently to mark family events. Below ground foundations are evidenced by a bumpy surface, and by a generally raised area in the N part of the site (S1).
Fragments of handled jar, plus more sherds from a pit (S2)(S3).
- <M1> SSF38877 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 77.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF1262 (No record type): Bloomfield, History of Norfolk, 3, 607-610.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 966-72, 1966.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1972-15, 1972.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. TM05SW2, 1953.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 10:12AM