Monument record MLS 001 - Rectory (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 097 742 (130m by 151m)|
|Civil Parish||MELLIS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat. Occupied, rectangular. Projects into green (S1).
The rectory is of an entirely Victorian structure and there is no local information as to an earlier house on the site. Around the rectory is a probable sub-rectangular waterfilled homestead moat, measuring overall circa 125.0m N-S by circa 95.0m E-W with arms averaging circa 5.0m wide. Although the overall appearance of this feature suggests it is a form of protective moat, sections of the W and S arms are of no more than drainage ditch proportions circa 3.0m. Published survey (25") revised (S2).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BPH 71, 70H-M53, 1971.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP, BPH 71, 70H-M53.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH).
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JRL 12.12.73.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2022 3:32PM