Monument record NYW 008 - Roman artefact scatter of tegulae, imbrices and box tiles.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9581 3378 (46m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||NAYLAND-WITH-WISSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Area 40 yards E-W x 70 yards N-S with tegulae, imbrices and box tiles. `Indications of rough pasture at base of plough soil. A trial hole showed that the tile debris continued to a depth of 3 feet. No trace of burning' (S1). Material donated to Ipswich Museum by F G Storey, Wiston Hall, Nayland (excavator?) (S1).
13 March 1979: Site visit revealed scatter of tile - tegulae and imbrices, with mortar and two sherds grey ware including one jar rim. Scatter less dense than NYW 009. Site under low crop, good condition.Sketch map positions site centre circa 30m to NW at TL 9582 3378 (S2).
Heavy flint scatters are noted both to S of site (S2) and to N (S1). For similar spreads see NYW 009 and 010.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL93SE52.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1971-171, 1971.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report.
- <S2> SSF18138 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), site report NYW 008, 1979.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 32, 1970, 214.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2020 6:10PM