Monument record BSM 003 - Smallbridge Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 929 331 (188m by 162m)|
|Civil Parish||BURES ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Smallbridge Hall, on the parish boundary, part of the moat and the house are in Wissington (Wiston) parish. Mill at Smalebridge confirmed to monks of Stoke-by-Clare by Richard, Earl of Clare 1152-73; William de Smalebrege occurs 1235-6 (S1). Michael de Ponyngg and Margaret his wife (i. e. Sir Michael de Poynings of Poynings & Crawley, Sussex, and Margaret de Aguillon) held the manor of Smalebregg 1310- 11 (S2). Their grandson, Michael de Poynyges granted manor of Bures Tany and the Chapel of St Stephen (see BSM 013) to William Baud, knight, 1362-3. William Bawde of Smallbridge was seized of the manors of Smallbridge and Tanyes 1368-9. He released his right to feofees 1375 (S3). He died childless 1375 (S4). Manor soon after passed to Sir Richard Waldegrave (c.1338-1410), Speaker of the House of Commons 1381-2 (S5). Waldegrave had acquired an interest in Bures through marriage (?1365) with Joan, the widow of Robert de Bures (d. 1361). He had a licence to crenellate his manor of Smallbrigg in 1384 (S6). House rebuilt in mid 16th century by Sir William Waldegrave (1507- 1554) or his son, Sir William (d.1617). Arms of Waldegrave family and date 1572 are in a window in a panelled room formerly part of the great hall. Queen Elizabeth visited twice, in 1561 and 1579 (S7 & S8). 44 hearths here in 1674. Waldegrave family came to end with death of Thomas in 1692. Property later owned by Currant/Currance, Hanbury, Adams and Hervey families (and others). Used as a farmhouse 1868 (S7), largely rebuilt in red brick in Elizabethan style 1874, restored by the Marchioness of Bristol in 1932 (S9, S10, S11). Post- 1837 brick stable block (large) to N of moat (S9).
Best front of house faces S, with 4 small gables or dormers. Hall behind this. To N are two long wings with only a narrow space between them. Large chimney breast in the E wall probably the chimney of the former kitchen. Mullioned and transomed brick windows. Two storeys. Tiled roof. Interior mostly altered but several good panelled rooms especially on first floor (S9, S10, S11).
House shown with long avenue approach from the N on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783. Tithe Map of 1837 shows long drive from N leading to roughly triangular area of pasture named as Weston's Green (i.e. Wiston Green) adjoining the N side of the farmyard. Adjoining on the W side was a rectangular pasture field named as Bures Green. Long range of farm buildings shown on E side; W not present, instead there is an inlet from the R Stour which is slightly separated from the N and S arms of the moat. House lies close to the S arm of the moat; another range (L-shaped) is shown adjoining the N arm, but this has now gone. To the S of the moat a line of 4 roughly oval fishponds are indicated, bordered by an L-shaped ditch on the N side (S12).
1911: Two sides of a moat, and a wide channel cut from the river supplied the water and at the same time doubled the defences on the western side (S13).
1960: Moat waterfilled occasionally only on N & S sides. Moat in fair condition. Of the fishponds that lay to the south, the sites of two may still be discerned. These are enclosed by a bank on the W & S sides (illustration card shows four ponds, two clearly, two indistinct)(S14). 1976/7: APs show moat, house and cropmarks to the N and E of the moat (S15).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <S1> SSF10205 (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Brown J et al, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, E Anglia, 262.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 126.
- <S1> SSF2933 Map: 1837. Bures St Mary Tithe Map and Apportionment. Bures St Mary, Tithe Map and Apportionment, SRO (Bury) T66/1,2.
- <M1> SSF46943 (No record type): APs: (S15).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card TL93SW46, A S Phillips.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs, NMR 9233/1/11; RCHME TL 9333/24/376; SAU AFY 19; Essex C C, CP/ 97/8/7.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: AFY 19; NMR 8233/1/11; RCHME TL 9333/24/376..
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 64.
- <S1> SSF7290 (No record type): Harper-Bill C & Mortimer R, Stoke-by-Clare Cartulary, Suffolk Charters Series vols IV-VI, 1982-4, no.
- <S2> SSF17868 (No record type): Rye W, Feet of Fines for Suffolk, 1900.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Tracing & notes from (S12).
- <S3> SSF17546 (No record type): Redstone V, The Ancient Chapel of Bures, PSIA 15, pt 2, 1914.
- <S4> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol 1, 51 & 56.
- <S5> SSF17753 (No record type): Roskill J S, Sir Richard de Waldegrave of Bures St Mary, Speaker in the Parliament of 1381-2, PSIA 2.
- <S6> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Suffolk Records, vol 1.
- <S7> SSF6201 (No record type): Excursion notes 1868, PSIA 4, 1874, 358-64.
- <S8> SSF6202 (No record type): Excursion notes 1914, PSIA 5 pt 2, 1914, 212-3 & ill p 87.
- <S9> SSF10567 (No record type): Listed Building description.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 10:46AM