Monument record PLS 001 - Bower House

Please read our .

Summary

Part of moat (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9835 4090 (66m by 73m)
Map sheet TL94SE
Civil Parish POLSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Part of moat (S1). Fragment of E arm only, wet, isolated circa 360m from parish boundary and circa 2800m from parish church. Farmer said "it is an old horse pond". Occupied by C16 C17 house with C18 windows. 1840 Tithe map shows `moat' as a pond, but also shows an L-shaped pond to the south of the farmstead (S2). In 1840 this formed a part of Boxford parish (attached to Hadleigh Hamlet) but had been moved into Polstead by 1885. Farmstead lies at W end of Bower House Tye (Mock Beggar Green in 1783, Hodskinson's map). `Bowre house' was leased by Richard Bocking, an ashburner, who died in 1540 (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <R1> (No record type): Min of H & LG Prov List 2018/11/A113.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. Wall, J C, 615.
  • <S2> Map: 1840/41. Boxford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Boxford Tithe Apportionment 1840/1, SRO (B) T116/1,2.
  • <S3> (No record type): Northeast P, Boxford Churchwardens' Accounts 1530-61, Suff Rec Soc XXIII, 1982, 83 & 84.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 9 1995 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.