Monument record MDN 003 - Milden Castle : Foxburrow Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 949 461 (154m by 130m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDEN, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Small motte and bailey castle, now much mutilated. Circular motte is circa 12 feet high and was surrounded by a moat. Little is left of the bailey to the N or the ditch (S1). Motte maximum of 4.0m high; E side of bailey destroyed by surface quarrying (S2).
1981: Mound covered with rough grass. Bailey to W visible, that to E now under plough and not traceable. Ploughing close to perimeter of mound (S3). Old 6 inch OS map marks 'Human & Animal Remains, Sword, Spurs & Bullet found' in bailey to NE of mound.
Presumably the castle held by W de Mildinges in the time of King Stephen (S4).
1990: Site grassed (management agreement with HBMC). Mound quite substantial and in good condition. Ring of nettles growing round the base probably indicate the site of the silted up ditch. To the NW is a small platform with a steep scarp on the W side - possibly part of a bailey, however, sand digging on this and on the E side has disturbed the plan. Site lies at the head of a small stream and was originally quite wet and boggy on its W side (S5). Area of possible bailey is partially under scrub which has invaded from the adjacent lane hedge.
1991: Mound fenced off and under no threat. Covered with grass - cut by farmer (S6).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <M1> SSF43072 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5142 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk, The Little Guides, 1957, 255.
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 602-603.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1974, 364.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL94NW4.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ALN 8, 9.
- <R3> SSF18601 (No record type): SAU, AP ALN 8, 9.
- <S3> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF3001 (No record type): Butler H E (ed), The Chronicle of Jocelin of Brakelond, 1949, 138.
- <S5> SSF7366 (No record type): Hawkins C, Milden Hall, 1990.
- <S6> SSF21764 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc, (Paul Edwards) Survey, Table of Results, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2020 9:10AM