Monument record LVM 006 - Iron Gasholder, Lavenham Gasworks
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9182 4906 (8m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1979: Iron gas holder with 5 cast iron stanchions tied with wrought iron, supporting a plate iron tank. Vertical lift. A cast iron entablature at the bend of each column bears the date 1862 pulled out in white lettering. Nothing now remains of the retort house or other buildings. A later small gasholder stands adjacent (S1).
1981: Paintwork showing signs of rust on exterior of tank and stanchion. Some moss and verdegris round base. Top of float in interior extremely rusty. Area round gasholder gravelled and tidy. Second gasholder no longer exists (S1).
1986: Gasholder recently painted matt black, with details, including dates, picked out in white. Tank and stanchions seem in good condition. Float, which, unlike the rest of the structure, is of sheet rather than cast iron, is badly rusted. Despite re-painting, its surface is flaking and has in places gone into holes (S1).
Also note brief history in (S2).
- <M1> SSF41238 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S2> SSF5481 (No record type): E Anglian Daily Times, 6 March 1993, ill.
- <S3> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF110285.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 13-MAR-81.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 19 2021 1:28PM