Monument record IKL 056 - Findspot of a large Neolithic urn with collared rim.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7772 7309 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Large urn with collared rim and 'maggot' decoration, 14 to 15 inches high, found on an 'occupation floor' together with Peterborough type of pottery and many Neo flints. Excavated by W A Sturge of Icklingham Hall 1913 (S1)(R1). Two Grooved Ware sherds (Woodlands style) also found (S2). Finds given to British Museum by 1st Lord Iveagh in 1914.
For further `Neo floor', circa 200m away, see IKL 096.
- <R1> SSF11309 (No record type): MIHLM, correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1954.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE5, information from Briscoe Lady G, 1954.
- <R2> SSF16400 (No record type): Piggott S, The Neo pottery of Brit Isles, Archaeol J, 88, 1931, 124-126.
- <S2> SSF22734 (No record type): Wainwright G J and Longworth I H, Durrington Walls: Excavations 1966- 1968, London 1971, 285.
- <R3> SSF21363 (No record type): Smith I F, The decorative art of Neo ceramics in SE England and its relations, PhD thesis, London 19.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 4:34PM