Monument record CAV 009 - Over Hall; Rectory
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8018 4651 (159m by 134m)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat. Dry, part of N arm and SW corner, in Rectory garden.
1950: N portion quite pronounced & in fair condition, but SW angle is vague and overgrown (S1)(R2).
May 1958: `Slopes of SW angle surveyed' by A N Watson, surveyor (S1). One gable of Over Hall (circa AD 1500) surviving (S1)(R1).
C12th Lands divided between Sir H de Odyngseless & D. de Lindsey.
C13th Rejoined under de Odynegseless family.
1370 Sir J. Cavendish owns, linked to ASP, ELK, Pentlow & Saxham.
1679-1791 Sold frequently till Thomas Ruggles acquires after which there is confusion over ownership.
1862-1947 Church owned.
1895 demolished. (S2)
According to 'Freeth' 2002 the building might have had C11th origins as in 1601 structural changes to the building were undertaken.
Taken from NRHE record:
A fragment of moat may be traced at Over Hall (TL 84 NW12) near the rectory.
A very fragmentary homestead moat, part of the northern arm and south west angle of which remain. The northern portion is quite pronounced and in fair condition but the south west angleis vague and overgrown.
Slopes of south west angle surveyed.
The moat has been filled apart from a fragment of the north arm which survives as a small elongated pond 24.0m long by 5.0m wide.
The general area has recently been cultivated and shows a scatter of undressed stone and early tile fragments.
published 1:2500 survey revised.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NW12, 13.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 8, 1894, 261-263.
- <R2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 606.
- <S2> SSF58988 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Overhall.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 8, 1891-2, 261-3.
- <S5> SSF60034 Personal Correspondence: Various. Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comment. Rev J R Wilson. The Rectory Cavendish..
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 AC 05-OCT-50.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F2 GJM 26-NOV-79.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 6:14PM