Poorly Located Monument record PSG 030 - Bronze Age hoard. Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 76 48 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||POSLINGFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze hoard found in stone pit, circa 1844: 19 bronze flanged axes, one with chevron pattern, one with series of curved lines (Four in BSEMH and four in BM)(S3)
Found `together with a gold armlet with a single small gold ring attached to it' (S8). Armlet and ring not listed in (S2-7)! Evans (S10) lists gold armlet as from the Great Clare hoard (Ireland). This has clearly been confused with Clare, Suffolk (adjoining Poslingford) by Fox (S8)(S10). Details and analysis of 8 surviving axes in (S7).
The only pit shown on OS first edition 1 inch map (1836 with later additions) & on OS 1880s & 1905 maps in area of Hall Farm is at TL 7615 4820 (S1)(S2). This was probably the findspot of the hoard. No pits shown on hall Farm holdings on tithe map of 1841 (S11), suggesting fresh pit excavation of circa 1844.
Formerly recorded as PSG MISC
- <S1> SSF12417 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map (1st ed) sheet 54, Cambridge, 1865.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL74NE5, 1976.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (nothing in file february 1992)!.
- <S1> SSF5636 (No record type): Edwardson A R, BA Metal Work in Moyses Hall Museum, 1968.
- <S1> SSF6145 (No record type): Evans, Bronze Implements, 1881, 48, 389, 464.
- <S2> SSF12896 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map (2nd ed) sheet LXII SE, 1905.
- <M2> SSF42827 (No record type): BSEMH map archive: notes & microfilm (copy S2).
- <S3> SSF693 (No record type): Archaeologia, 31, 1846, 496-7 (4 figured).
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 1849, 26.
- <S5> SSF11152 (No record type): Megaw, B.R.S. & Hardy, E.M. Megaw B R S & Hardy E M, `British Decorated Axes...', PPS, 4, 1938, 276 & 301.
- <S6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk 1. 266 & 275.
- <S7> SSF11836 (No record type): Needham SP, `The EBA Axeheads of Central & S England', unpub PhD thesis, Cardiff, 1983.
- <S8> SSF6581 (No record type): Fox C, The Archaeol of the Camb Region, 1923, 51 (2 gold rings), 54 (19 flanged axes together with a.
- <S9> SSF16635 (No record type): Proc Soc Antiq 1, 1849, (1st series), 83 (as S3).
- <S10> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. TL74NE5.
- <S11> SSF56637 Map: 1842. Poslingford Tithe Map. (B) T90A/1,2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:46AM