Monument record WTG 005 - Wratting Mill (1836) (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 698 487 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WRATTING, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Mill mound. In arable field, circa 1m high. Use confirmed locally. Two ring ditches visible on Air Photograph - see Un (R1) - site recorded as windmill in C19.
Windmill shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S2).
Thin scatter of worked flint and pottery sherds, mostly PMed. Marked as `Wratting Mill' on OS first edition map (S1).
Shows occupation at most intense between 11th-14th centuries (S3).
- <S1> SSF12422 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map (1st ed), sheet 54, 1836.
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ZM 47.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP ZM 47 (xerox held by HDAG).
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Abbott C, SCCAS Monitoring Report 97/24.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2012 11:50AM