Monument record COW 004 - S of Pound Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7184 5368 (56m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||COWLINGE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat. Shown as unoccupied and rectangular on OS 1:10560 map. S of Pound Green. (Probably: The New Fairstead on 1836 OS)(S1).
Shown as occupied by a farmhouse, with a group of farm buildings outside on the NW side in 1846, described as `House, Homestead, Yards and Moat', belonging to James Simpson, occupied by William Chapman; field to SE named as `Fairstead or Ashes pasture' (S2).
Site flattened by 1973 (S3).
The moat appears as very clear cropmarks on recent aerial photography (Google 2018), suggesting good preservation of archaeological deposits in the Moat ditches and survival of features relating to occupation within the Moat platform.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S1> SSF21177 (No record type): See Moat file.
- <M1> SSF44573 (No record type): Moat file:.
- <S2> SSF4189 Map: 1846-48. Cowlinge Tithe Map. Cowlinge Tithe Map and Apportionment, 1846-8, SRO (B) T74/1,2.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, BMD 54, March 1973.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Strachan D, CP 96/46/1, 1996.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 3:15PM