Monument record WKB 001 - Moated Site W of Gifford's Hall; Clopton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 767 537 (136m by 132m)|
|Civil Parish||WICKHAMBROOK, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat. Large, oval/pentagonal, irregular, isolated. Close to parish boundary.
1976: Well preserved in a wooded copse, traditionally said to be the precursor of the present Gifford's Hall, which is late C15 (WKB 002). Moat partially silted up, 3m wide. Some indication of a W causeway, 3m wide, but this may be a later bank. Platform about 3m above present level of moat, surrounded by a bank up to 5m high except on NE and E sides (S1).
Shown on Denston Hall estate map of 1778 (S2), named as Moat Yard (2a 1r 20p), with an entrance causeway on the west side.
Adjoins Great Clopton Moat Field to west, with Little Clopton Moat Field to south. Owner of Denston Hall in 1548-9 is also recorded as holding the manor of Clopton Hall in Wickham (S3). This suggests that the moat is the site of Clopton Hall, the seat of the Clopton family before their move to Kentwell Hall in Long Melford (S4)(S5). Clopton Hall/Chappeley Manor was owned by William Clopton in the 12th century. Sir William Clopton owned ('died seised') Giffords Hall in 1377 (S6).
1994: for draft description and management proposal (including two trial trenches) see (S7).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <M1> SSF41508 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21842 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds, 279/6.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of tracing from (S2).
- <S3> SSF7339 (No record type): Haslewood F, Denston, PSIA 6 pt 3, 1888, 438.
- <S4> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk V, 1909, 306-7.
- <S5> SSF4132 (No record type): Corder J (ed), Visitation of Suffolk 1561, 1981.
- <S6> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. West Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Carr RD (SCCAS), draft 'Moated Site West of Giffords Hall, Wickhambrook', Ms, May 1994, ill.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2020 1:04PM