Monument record WKB 005 - Badmondisfield Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 747 571 (370m by 332m)|
|Civil Parish||WICKHAMBROOK, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
Badmondisfield Hall. Domesday Book records a substantial royal manor (formerly held by Earl Algar) containing 10 carucates at Bademondesfelda, which was then in the keeping of Picot the Sheriff. A church with 10.5 acres of land is also recorded (S1). This seems to be the main entry for Wickhambrook (only 60a are listed under Wicham) and the church is probably that at Wickhambrook.
The manor was granted by Henry I to Baldwin de Boulers and passed by descent through the FitzUrse, Curtenai, Cantilupe and Engaine families before coming to John Hastings, 1st Lord of Hastings in 1273. The Hastings family held it until the death of John Hastings, 3rd Earl of Pembroke in 1389. A park is mentioned here 1387-8 and 1389-90 (see WBK 011). Manor then passed to the Grey family, Lords Grey de Ruthyn. Richard Grey, 3rd Earl of Kent wasted his estate and disposed of the manor to Charles Somerset, Earl of Worcester, who by his will 1524 left it to his widow. By 1541 it was in the possession of her stepson, Sir George Somerset (d. 1560). The Somersets sold the manor c.1596-1600 to Roger, Lord North, or to his younger son, Sir Henry North (d. 1620). In 1674 Sir Henry North had 19 hearths here and 3 `for the Lodge'. Sir Henry North 2nd Bt (d.1695) sold the manor to Francis Warner (d.1684). Last Warner died in 1753 and by 1783 the estate was owned by Nathaniel Barrett and by Nathaniel Warner Bromley in 1837 (S2)(S3).
Large sub-rectangular moat of 2.1 acres containing a substantial 15th century timber-framed building with exposed framing, partly with plaster infill and partly with brick-nogging. Restored in the 20th century (S4). House considerably altered in the 18th century when the W cross-wing largely rebuilt; main access by 2-arched 18th century brick bridge across the moat (S5).
`Graceful little summer house with white plaster walls and a Georgian porch and windows' beside the moat at TL 7473 5710 (S6). To the N of the moat is a large 6 acre enclosure bounded on the N by large ponds (?for fish). Enclosure named as Dovehouse Meadow in 1841 (S7). In 1841 there was an entrance causeway in line with the road approaching from the NE, destroyed by 1886 by the amalgamation of two ponds (S8). A tree-lined avenue, shown in 1841 and 1886, led from the entrance across the enclosure towards the bridge across the moat. To the NW of the moat there is another linear pond (?again for fish, though possibly formalised in mid 19th century) and a smaller rectangular pond is shown between the linear pond and the moat in 1841, but had gone by 1886. A park adjoins the moat on the S side (see WBK 011), to which there is access by a timber bridge.
A chapel at Badmundisfield is mentioned in 1254 and 1291 (S9). In 1369/70 a grant of land was given to Walter Amyas, guardian of the chantry in the chapel of the manor of Bademundesfeld (S10). A free chapel dedicated to St Mary at Badmondisfield was granted to William Mansey, ironmonger of London in 1583 (S11). A free chapel known as St Edward's Chapel is said to have stood `on a little island called St Edward's Island within the moat before the hall door on the right side'. Built of timber, panelled with brick and covered with tiles. A witness in 1591, aged 74, stated that `He doth remember when he was a child he did see our old decayed chapel standing within the great moat of Badmondisfield Hall, environed also by itself within a littleisland, which chapel being utterly decayed was pulled down by the appointment of Sir George Somerset'. In place of the chapel a chamber over the porch of the house was used as a chapel (S2).
See also WBK 011 for park and avenues.
- <S1> SSF17859 (No record type): Rumble A, Domesday Book - Suffolk, 1986, I, 1.121.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL75NW6,.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: part tracing of (S7), copy (S8).
- <S2> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol V, 1909.
- <R2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 619.
- <S3> SSF3826 (No record type): Cokayne G E, Complete Peerage.
- <S4> SSF10571 Index: Listed Building Register. Listed Building Register.
- <S5> SSF5114 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little Guide - Suffolk, 1957, 367.
- <S6> SSF17899 (No record type): Sandon E, Suffolk Houses, 1977 215-9.
- <S7> SSF21859 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, F652/3/4(2)a & T128/1.
- <S8> SSF12836 (No record type): OS, 1st ed 25in scale map, 1886.
- <S9> SSF7651 (No record type): Hudson W, Norwich Taxation of 1254, Norfolk & Norwich Archaeol Soc, vol 17.
- <S10> SSF3118 (No record type): Canning R (ed), Suffolk Traveller, 1764, 253.
- <S11> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Suffolk Records, vol 5, 1904, 378.
- <S12> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 11:42AM