Monument record BTT 004 - Pound Farm, seal matrix
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9527 5348 (346m by 322m)|
|Civil Parish||BRETTENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat - site of, ploughed. Square, circa 70m x 70m. Entrance causeway in SE arm, associated small enclosure to NE. Possible filled in pond 150m to NE. Associated ditch boundaries to NW. Isolated, 150m from parish boundary, circa 1,550m from church (S1)(S2)(S4).
In 1924 the moat was described as `present greatest depth of fosse 2ft 5in' (S3).
Site on Pound Farm - broken tiles, pottery, oyster shell. "Roman coins found here" (S3)(R1).
2012: Copper-alloy pointed-oval-shaped seal matrix, with a central motif depicting a robed figure, probably a cleric, inscribed +S’Henrici.D’ GRAnTCVRT, (seal of Henry Grantcourt or Grandcourt) (SF-390438). (S5)
- <M1> SSF42089 (No record type): APs: ADG 34, ADH 31, AJL 20.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL95SE3.
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1.
- <S2> SSF18778 (No record type): SAU, APs ADG 34, ADH 31, AJL 20.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S3> SSF4126 (No record type): Copinger-Hill Rev, PSIA, 18, 1924, 220.
- <S4> SSF21118 (No record type): SCC, vertical AP 1986, 1786 089 (Ipswich).
- <S5> SSF55626 Article in serial: Martin, E.A. & Plouviez, J.. 2013. Archaeology in Suffolk 2012. XXXXIII (1).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 5 2015 3:10PM