Monument record DRK 001 - Hall Farm; Drinkstone Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9565 5999 (74m by 98m)|
|Civil Parish||DRINKSTONE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat, Rectangular circa 55m x 70m, wet, arms circa 9m wide. Isolated, 600m from church, circa 300m from Drinkstone Green (S1)(S2).
2009: a desk based assessment has identified the site as being the manor of Drinkestone Lovayne’s, this name being derived from the 14th century landowners. The medieval Hall appears to have been of considerable importance, maps from 1648 and 1702 show a substantial property, potentially dating to the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century when the manor was owned by the earls of Essex. A description of the property has been identified in sale particulars dating from 1838, together with a map largely tallying with the tithe map of the same year (S4).
Earlier house of George Goodday Esq, shown on a map of 1702 by Thomas Dade (S3). This also shows various buildings in a yard to the S of the moat, including a dovecote (see DRK 012). The area to the N and E of the moat is named as `Warren'.
Now occupied by Hall Farm house - appears externally to be 19th/20th century structure (S1), however internal features date to c.1860, there is no evidence of material from the earlier building that was demolished 1838, being re-used in the current property (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL95NE6.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 608.
- <S3> SSF21839 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds 2753/7/39.
- <S4> SSF50747 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2009. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Drinkstone Hall, Gedding Road, Drinkstone.
- FSF15917: (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2010 1:27PM