Monument record MUN 013 - Moulton Manor; White Hall (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6969 6397 (173m by 228m)|
|Civil Parish||MOULTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Earthwork - A trench was cut to the centre of the mound in 1850 by members of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. 'A circular mound ,about 15 feet high, in the grounds of Mr Staples' house at Moulton (TL6964) was excavated in 1850. Nothing indicative of a sepulchral origin was found and it may have been the site of a small watch tower as evidence of a stone wall was found in the trench around the mound.' (S3).
Mapped by OS on 1920s and later maps, though curiously, not on earlier ones.
Note; the 1838 tithe map shows a large water-filled pond at this approximate location suggesting the mound was constructed after this date but prior to the 1850 excavation!
Alternatively the 1850 mound was located somewhere completely different within 'the grounds' ( tithe apportionment shows Moulton Hall & adjoining Farm complex and plots to rear of both all occupied by William Staples in 1838) and the 1920s mapped mound consists of material from the demolished remains of the former Hall (burnt down 1921) or a landscape feature in front of the new 'Moulton Manor'.
Also see Med & PMed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:21PM