Monument record KTD 004 - Bronze-Age ring ditch.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7133 6662 (32m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch (single), in middle of ploughed field to S of old A45 road.
Excavated 1973: ditch: diameter (inside) 29.3m; width 3.1m (S), 3.6m (N); depth 1.2m. Grave 1: aligned NW-SE; 0.6m long x 0.5m wide; empty except for a miniature food-vessel, mouth upwards, in NW corner of grave.
Grave 2: aligned NW-SE; 0.75m long x 0.6m wide; empty due to acid sub-soil (gravel).
Destroyed by quarrying in 1973.
- <S1> SSF10893 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, The Excavation of two round barrows at Meddler Stud, Kentford, E Anglian Archaeol, 1, 19.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP ADS 71.
- <M2> SSF38049 (No record type): Excavation archive: slides.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ADS 71.
- <M3> SSF38050 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 10:18AM