Monument record HGW 002 - Shooting Lodge Plantation Round Barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7134 6955 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HERRINGSWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow - site of.
1836: Marked on OS 1st edition map.
1935: Large bowl, no visible ditch (R1).
1954: About 6 feet high. Hole in centre, probably not to old ground level. close to wood (R2).
1976: No trace of mound - area is very hummocky and undulating, but nothing that is very likely to be a barrow. Reported destruction to Inspectorate - owners admitted to having destroyed the mound to get rid of vermin some time ago. No action taken (R3).
1977: Barrow has now been levelled, but its approximate site is marked by a heavy scatter of small flints. There appears to be no record of any finds from the site. Visible on air photograph (R4).
1981: This monument is now almost completely levelled, and is situated in a ploughed field. It is only just visible, a slight raised area, not more than 15-20cms above the ploughland (S1).
1986: Visible as very slight rise, approximately 20m diameter, 15cm high, on edge of ploughed field, E part under grass, W part under plough (S1). Feb 1998: Scheduled area revised - details in (S1).
- <R1> SSF12271 (No record type): NWHCM, photograph, 1935.
- <M1> SSF46711 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF46712 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R2> SSF7804 (No record type): IPSMG, (Grinsell has photograph), 1954.
- <R3> SSF10935 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, 1976.
- <R4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NW6 & AP 76/060/1153 May 1976.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2021 2:43PM