Monument record BRR 007 - Felton's Manor (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7700 6385 (154m by 144m)|
|Civil Parish||BARROW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat. Unoccupied. N & E sides dry, W side wet. Sub rectangular. Causeway on N side. E of Felton's Farm (identified with Felton's Manor)(S1). Marked as `Scitus manerii de Feltons', i.e. the site of Felton's Manor on a map of 1597 (S2)(S3).
Half of moat remains.
1274 Sir A. de Creeting owns 240 acres arable land, 1 1/2 acres meadow, 1/2 pasture, 23 acres wood, 1 windmill.
1356 Sir T. de Felton owns.
Circa 1396 Sir J. Curson owns. Linked to HNV.
1575 Sir C. Heigham owns, absorbed by main manor.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76SE5 (ill).
- <R1> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, Manors of Suffolk, 7, 1911, 10.
- <S2> SSF6718 (No record type): Gage J, Hist & Antiqs of Suff Thingoe Hundred, 1838, 16 + map facing.
- <S3> SSF21834 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury 862/3, copy 1779 of a map of 1597.
- <S4> SSF58971 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Felton's Manor.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 12:35PM