Monument record HIG 001 - Round Barrow, Limekiln Belt, SW of Desnage Lodge.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7350 6735 (54m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Mislocation of round Barrow (possible remains of), Limekiln Belt, SW of Desning Lodge.
1836: `Tumulus' named & defined on OS 1st ed map at TL 7355 6729 approximately - site HIG 008.
1840 `Lime Kiln' and associated (chalk?) pit marked on Tithe map at area defined as Scheduled (S3).
1935: Is at side of a very large pit, and it may be formed of the soil from the pit. Very doubtful (R1).
1954: Rough mound with pit on N side and trees on top. Close to wood.'Very doubtful if barrow' (R2).
1955: 3 feet high covered with trees in corner of field against road, NW corner destroyed by deep old gravel pit. In bad condition (S1). 1976: In very poor condition, covered by trees and is on S edge of quarry hole (disused). Circa 20m diameter, 1.12m high (S2).
1977: Tree covered sandy mound situated on level ground on S edge of old worked out quarry within 50m of the Icknield Way. Measures overall 22m in diameter and is upto 1.0m high. No trace of a ditch. No tradition of a barrow is known to farmworkers at this site and its position suggests it could be a spoil from the quarry, though this is less probable. No finds were made and nothing was visible on air photographs (R3).1981: In bad condition, covered in thick rough grass and nettles. Trees all felled and area replanted with firs. (Desning now spelt Desnage on OS map) (S1). Scheduled area appears to be disused pit rather than mound to S! Actually defines area of lime kiln & chalk pit after (S3). For former tumulus see HIG 008. HER changed from barrow to lime kiln, November 1995.
February 1999: Scheduled area revised to new location to SE of former scheduled area (S1), but still not in position mapped by OS 1st edition!
- <R1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M1> SSF44725 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF10935 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, 1976.
- <M2> SSF44726 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <R2> SSF9911 (No record type): IPSMG, with notes by Clarke R R, 1954.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NW9 & AP.
- <S3> SSF6781 Map: 1840/44. Gazeley Tithe Map and Apportionment. Gazeley Tithe map & apportionment, 1840 & 1844, SRO (Bury).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 5:28PM