Monument record RBY 004 - Round Barrow. (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7761 6789 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||RISBY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1869: 18.3m diameter, 1.5m high. ? Primary, central contracted inhumation in shallow grave. Four other undated secondary inhumations. Cremation in collared urn.
1959: Circa 18.3m diameter, 0.9m high, ploughed. Flint pick and blade only found. Possible chalk curb.
1976: Ploughed, nothing visible.
1977: Diameter 30m, maximum height 1m. Ploughed. (OS 1977). Destroyed by road on SW side (R1).
See also IA, RBY 003.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE2.
- <R1> SSF7133 (No record type): Greenwell W, Examination of Suffolk Tumuli - Risby, Quart J Suffolk Inst Archaeol, 1869, 37.
- <R2> SSF6571 (No record type): Fox C, Archaeology of Cambridge Region, 33.
- <R3> SSF5660 (No record type): Edwardson A R, Further excavations on tumuli at Risby, 1959, PSIA 28, pt 2, (1959), 153-60.
- <R4> SSF10478 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, The Barrows of East Anglia, EAA 12, 1981.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Dec 5 1996 12:00AM