Monument record RBY 006 - Round Barrow.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7850 6798 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||RISBY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow. Shown on OS 25 inch (S1) and 6 inch (S2) maps (S3).
February 1869: Probably second barrow on "Long Heath Field" - field shown as "Long Heath" on Tithe map (S6) excavated by W Greenwell. Described as being composed of sand and "had been reduced by the plough..."- "56 feet in diameter, nothing was found but a fragment of a Saxon urn, and parts of the skull & pelvis of an ox" (S4). This excavation was formerly associated with RBY 005.
1958: Still shown as upstanding barrow on OS 6 inch map (S2). 1962: Barrow reduced by the plough to low, spread, unsurveyable mound (S3).
1976: Nothing visible (S7).
1977: Now completely levelled, leaving no evidence on the ground (S3).
- <S1> SSF12872 (No record type): OS, 25 inch map (2nd ed), 1904.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Afforestation proposal/application.
- <S2> SSF12914 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, TL 76 NE, 1958.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE3.
- <S4> SSF7135 (No record type): Greenwell W, Examination of Suffolk Tumuli - Risby, Quat J Suff Inst Archaeol, 1869, 38-40.
- <S5> SSF10876 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, EAA, 3, 1976, 60.
- <S6> SSF22176 Map: 1839/40. Risby Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S7> SSF10483 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A, Priddy D, The Barrows of E Anglia, EAA 12, 1981.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2021 2:25PM