Monument record RGH 009 - Roman Building SW of Lake Farm; Fields I, II & III
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 901 614 (213m by 241m)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Roman Building SW of Lake Farm - probable villa.
1843: vestiges of Roman buildings were found circa 250 yards east of the Eastlow Hill barrows (RGH 001, 002) in 1843, and a Roman floor was revealed by the plough - constructed of pounded tiles and mortar with a white calcareous stucco surface (according to Victoria County History referring to (R2)). The account by J S Henslow in October 1843 states that "Many fragments of pottery and tile occur scattered over some fields a few hundred yards to the S of these barrows and upon digging about a spade's depth in one of them, a considerable area appeared to have been floored with brick and mortar" (description of excavations of smaller barrows, RGH 009, S2).
Relocated through fieldwalking by Myrtle Taylor and Mavis Baker 1975-1982 (Fields I, II & III, see Parish file). Surface finds include C3 and C4 coinage, early C1 AD bronze bow brooch, various bronze and lead objects (including bracelet fragment), iron scissors, glass bead, two lead figurines (not definitely identified). Pottery includes, samian, Nene Valley, mortarium (stamped), ? Oxford ware, shell gritted, grey wares, ? black burnished, colour coated, (? rhenish), amphora (stamped), oxidized, cream fabric, orange fabric.
Some IA sherds.
Building material includes painted plaster, hypocaust tile (burnt), tegulae, imbrices, tesserae (dense scatter), OP sig, flint rubble.
Other finds, Andernach lava quern, oyster shell, animal and human bone.
1975: box and roof tile, pottery, human and animal bone found in a rubbish pit under Water Cottage (TL 9000 6130), given by Capt D Armstrong to BSEMH (R1).
1986: NW field meadow, thinly scattered with mature oak and grazed by cattle, SW & SE fields were under wheat or barley, which had grown so high as to obscure the surface. Weathered fragments of brick/tile visible around field edges (S1).
2011: Geophysical and topographic survey of the scheduled area of a known Roman building at Lake farm, Rougham. The geophysical survey identified the edges of the building remains on the northen side, thereby beginning to provide more detailed information about the extent of the settlement (S3).
Also a few Post Medieval finds (SAU store).
- <R1> SSF2466 (No record type): BSEMH 1975-13.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photograph of figurine; fieldwalking reports.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF38811 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R2> SSF6809 (No record type): Gents Magazine, 1843, pt 2, 190, 524, 528.
- <S2> SSF926 (No record type): Babington C, Roman Antiquities found at Rougham in 1842 & 1843, PSIA, 4, 1874, 257-281.
- <M3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: vol.
- <S3> SSF55091 Unpublished document: Woodhouse, H.. 2012. Geophysical Survey Report, Roman Building, Lake Farm, Rougham.
- <R3> SSF6807 (No record type): Gents Magazine Liby Rom Rems, 2, 1887, 312.
- <R4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 33, 1976, (3), 327.
- <S4> SSF54103 Bibliographic reference: Britannia. 16, 1985.
- <R5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 34, 1977, (1), 76.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F2 PAS 13-MAR-81.
- <R6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 314.
- <S6> SSF55343 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Plouviez, J. & Ross, H.. 1981. Archaeology in Suffolk 1980. XXXV (1).
- <R7> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96SW1.
- <S7> SSF59998 Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1984. Council for British Archaeology Group 6: Bulletin.
- <S8> SSF55854 Bibliographic reference: Moore, I, E.. 1988. The Archaeology of Roman Suffolk.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF31710: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52329: HUMAN REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF9480: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9481: BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9482: BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9483: SCISSORS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9484: BEAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9485: FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9486: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9487: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9488: POTTERY OXFORD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9489: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9490: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9491: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9492: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9493: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9494: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9495: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF9496: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Villa SW of Lake House, Rougham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-279812) (ESF25717)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey, Roman Building, Lake Farm, Rougham (ESF22087)
- Event - Intervention: Metal detecting survey - Villa SW of Lake House, Rougham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-278596) (ESF25463)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13447)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13919)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13752)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM & JP) (Ref: SAU (EM & JP)) (ESF12415)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 2:00PM