Monument record FMP 002 - Risby Poor's Heath Round Barrows (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7935 6850 (54m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||FLEMPTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Risby Poor's Heath Round Barrows.
All of surrounding former heathland is now arable. Of the boundaries shown on the scheduling maplet, only that along the N edges of a and b survives. Soil is very light and sandy (S1).
1964: Excavated by F de M and H L Vatcher. Two phases of mound-building, both associated with inhumations, succeeded by a cremation episode. All early BA. Also finds of Neo, IA and Rom (S1).
Pottery: grey ware pedestal base; shell gritted jar (type 2)(S2). Coin: Antoninianus of Gallienus, AD 253-268. From excavation of barrow R1).
See also Neo, BA.
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <M1> SSF37161 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF22317 (No record type): Vatcher F de M & H L, Excav of a Round Barrow, Nr Poor's Heath, Risby, Suffolk, PPS 42, 1976, 280- 2.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2021 11:14AM