Monument record FSG 003 - Fornham Hall (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8406 6834 (50m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Site of Fornham Hall (S1).
Abbot of Bury St Edmunds had villa and a water mill (FSG 009) here, estate known in early times as Abbot's Mill (R2). Granted 1539 to Sir Thos Kytson of Hengrave. The estate was acquired from the Gipps family by Samuel Kent in 1731, on whose death in 1759 it pased to his son-in-law Sir Charles Egleton (later Kent).
The house was designed for Sur Charles Kent by James Wyatt and built in about 1785 (S4).
Estate purchased in 1789 by B E Howard, later 12th Duke of Norfolk (d 1842) who almost entirely rebuilt the house. House was sold after his death to Lord Manners, then in 1862 it was sold to Sir William Gilstrap in whose famly it remained until sold in 1950. House was pulled down in 1951 (S5).
Circular gasometer (similar to Santon Downham 025) shown on 1891 map (S1) within Hall buildings complex.
Now only the stable block survives. For 1907 photograph see (S3).
For layout of buildings in 1769 see (S2). Also deserted village - FSG 004. Also Med.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <S1> SSF12600 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map (1st ed), 1891.
- <R1> SSF23224 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <S2> SSF22854 (No record type): Warren T, `Survey of Parish of Fornham St Genevieve...' (map), 1769.
- <R2> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, Manors of Suffolk, 6, 1910, 268-271.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 143, 144 (photographs).
- <S4> SSF50196 Bibliographic reference: Colvin. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects. Colvin, 'Biographical Dictionary of British Architects (3rd ed p116).
- <S5> SSF50197 Article in serial: Evening Star. 16 September, 1951.
- <S6> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2010 4:57PM