Monument record PKM 028 - Grimstone End (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 936 692 (484m by 577m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||PAKENHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Grimstone End is a multi-period site which had been kept under observation by Basil Brown since the find of the first kiln in 1944 and which was still yielding artefacts in 1965. The area was gradually being demolished by quarrying operations for gravel and Basil was very often only able to record and recover sites and finds immediately prior to their destruction. Three excavations on behalf of Ipswich Museum were carried out, Rom kiln 22 in the spring of 1956, kiln 140 in March 1960 and kiln 147 in June 1960, all in the area covered by PKM 028. In 1953 the Museum with Basil Brown in charge excavated the BA disc barrow and associated Rom and Anglo Saxon sites - finds from this excavation area are covered by PKM 006. Burials and cremations, buildings and pottery kilns, are found all over the area and from all periods.
Foundations of "Tudor" building TL 9370 6935 made of bricks and dressed stone (from Ixworth Abbey ?) with floor of chalk into which joists of wood were pressed while it was still wet. Iron nails and glass, cut bone and oyster shells found. In a ditch leading to the house, coarse red sherds and a clay pipe stem of the period were found in the fill (S1) (R1).
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP 80M, CCQ79.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B - see CRN 06856 for volume references.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, maps, site plans.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 957-142, 1957.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 958-60, 1958.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:05PM