Monument record THS 001 - Sheep Lane, Grove Belt Ballast Pit
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 915 665 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||THURSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Occupation evidence without dateable material.
Basil Brown visited the site when advised that a black deposit had been noticed but a large portion of this had already been cleared away before he arrived. He found one sherd of IA pottery (grit inset) on the edge of a small hearth which he later excavated and which contained some charcoal. Another small hearth was found 18 feet away from the first. There are sketches of this site in the archive (S1).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NW29.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XIX, 10, 108; map 72.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volume, map.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 117.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 9:27AM