Monument record EWL 044 - Two Roman coins, Warren Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 991 623 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ELMSWELL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two Rom coins found in "entrenchments said to be on Warren Farm"; centred on TL 9884 6294 or TL 991 623 (near EWL 004) (S1).
Entry on Basil Brown map by another hand: "Entrenchments said to be on Warren Farm" marked at grid reference TL 9916 6296C (S2).
Appears confused: from Camden & Barker (R3)(S3) appears to relate to Warren Farm, Woolpit (TL 991 621), not Elmswell - see WPT Misc.
Formerly recorded as EWL MISC
No trce of any earthworks associable with the suggested "Roman encampment" were found during investigation. Much of the area to the west and south of Lawn Farm has been disturbed by gravel digging and while natural sand scarps at TL 99256200 may have been mistaken for 'entrenchments'. afforestation may have obscured other features, but no earthworks or finds are known to the Forestry Commission. (S4)
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96SE2.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : map.
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 320.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 76.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 2, 1854-1859, 209.
- <R3> SSF3102 (No record type): Camden W, Camden's Brittania (Gough's edition), 2, 1806, 165.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 396.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 27-NOV-79.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 11:55AM