Monument record WSW 014 - Jennets Hill, Kings Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 807 744 (22m by 117m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1961: Barrow, circa 3 feet high (0.9m), 90 feet (27.5m) diameter, cross-trenched in 1961 revealing an inner mound of turf layers 50 feet in diameter and 2 feet 6 inches thick. This contained stain traces of inhumation burial, 5 fragments of beaker and rusticated pottery, 2 hearths with 1500 calcined flints and 200 flakes, including 30 'scrapers etc' (S1) (S2) (S3).
The exact siting of this barrow is now unknown, it may have been one of the two recorded at Jennet's Hill (WSW 028, 029).
1976 : Area now forested and although there are some humps and bumps none look like a barrow (S4). For more information on pottery beakers see (S4).
Site revisited on 27/10/2004 by John Craven SCCAS, for the Forestry Commission. No sign of a mound at this location but a low bank c.12m wide and 0.3m high was seen, aligned NW-SE (S5).
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The earthwork bank recorded from S5 is visible on visualised lidar data. The bank has now been record as part of WSW 154 as the bank is unlikely to relate to the previously recorded Bronze Age Barrow remains/excavation.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th August 2019
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S1> SSF5668 (No record type): Edwardson A R, PSIA, 29, 1961, (1), 73-77 (ill).
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 163 (EADT cutting 22.12.1961).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SW14.
- <S4> SSF6839 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic Sites, BAR 107(i) 1982, 255.
- <S5> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Craven J, SCCAS. Site report 27/10/2004.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by BSEMH (Edwardson A R) (Ref: BSEMH (Edwardson A R)) (ESF15527)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12950)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit, SCCAS (Ref: ) (ESF18812)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2020 10:44AM