Monument record BNH 027 - Round barrow of unknown date on flat, low lying land.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8794 7941 (48m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Barrow on flat, low lying land, under pasture. Maximum height 0.9m, 34m N-S, 33m E-W. No indication of a ditch (S1).
"A trench was put in by Mr Edwardson and friends and post holes found slightly off centre" (S2).
1995: Visited as part of Brecks Survey - ploughed for "sometime" according to tenant farmer, but still noticeable rise in surface of field c. 60cm high (S3).
1996: Fieldwalking as part of Brecks Survey recovered scatter of eight burnt flints from the surface of the barrow. See parish file for list of artefacts recovered from the whole field (S4).
July 1998: Scheduled - details in (S5)
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE34, 1977.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volume.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XI, 108.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3)(S4).
- <S3> SSF20812 (No record type): SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, May 1995.
- <M3> SSF47110 (No record type): SAM file: (S5).
- <S4> SSF20810 Finds Report: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1996. SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, January 1996. SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, January 1996.
- <S5> SSF5740 (No record type): English Heritage, scheduling information.
- FSF24023: POT BOILER (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 2:11PM