Monument record CUL 003 - Hill of Health Round Barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8364 7131 (25m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Hill of Health - Round Barrow.
1937: Very large bowl barrow crowned with pines. About 8 feet high, perhaps 40 paces across. Two large (? sarsens) on S side of mound. A small mound a few paces to SE, perhaps a small bowl barrow (R1).
1962: A bowl barrow lying upon a slight southerly slope in the garden of a private house, measuring 30m N-S by 26m E-W. With maximum height of 4m. No visible ditch. The mound has been dug into on the S side. It has pine trees growing upon it and is generally in good condition (R2).
1976: Circa 22m diameter, 3.48m high. Lies in the garden of a private house. +/- flat-topped. Under grass with 5 pine trees and some bushes, especially on the N side (S3).
1981: Barrow in very good condition, grass covered with several large pine trees. Monument is now in garden of modern bungalow, and some shrub planting and flower bed construction has taken place, but this seems to be of a shallow nature (S1).
'Potsherd in Ipswich Museum, R R Clarke', but there is no record of this in Museum records and possibly refers to tumulus at Dixon's Covert, where BA sherd was found - CUL 004 (S2).
Excavated by father of present Earl Cadogan, who was about 5 at the time, circa 75 years ago (circa 1913) - apparently the late Earl was a keen archaeologist and it is believed he had the barrow excavated by a team - there were no finds (S4).
Note: OS 1st ed map shows mound on W, not E, side of road. 1882 1st ed & 1905 2nd ed, 6 inches to 1 mile, maps show it in its present position. Incorrectly plotted on OS 1st ed map? or moved by Barrow digger (probably a Cadogan) post 1836 & pre 1882.
1991: Classic lump, conical arm, big at apex, neat grassed surface (S5). Trees on mound circa 200 years old. Soil from mound, exposed by rabbit activity, made up of rounded chalk fragments circa 1.5ins diameter. Chalk would appear to be imported as not found near surface in close vicinity to barrow (unless very deep ring ditch surrounding barrow?)(S6).
November 1998: Scheduled area revised - see (S1).
Condition, shape and location adjoining line of Roman road suggest possibly Roman.
October 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An earthwork mound most likely relating to a Bronze Age Barrow is seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S7). The barrow is seen clearly on the visualised lidar data and is obscured by tree coverage on the aerial photographs. The barrow is also mapped on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map (S8). The barrow is in close proximity to a possible Bronze Age Ring Ditch to the approximately 200m to the south east. The monument polygon has been amended to correlate with the position of the feature on the visualised lidar data.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th October 2019.
- <R1> SSF12270 (No record type): NWHCM, photograph.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF41592 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SW5.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 41, OS note.
- <S3> SSF19372 (No record type): SAU, Martin E A, Barrow survey archive, 1976.
- <M3> SSF41593 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 626.
- <S4> SSF3005 (No record type): Cadogan Earl, per Green Mrs J, May 1989.
- <S5> SSF21761 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards), survey, table of results, 1991.
- <S6> SSF3163 (No record type): Castle Mrs E, November 1993.
- <S7> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TL8371 Environment Agency 2m DTM 18-APR-2019.
- <S8> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. First Edition Ordnance Survey map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Cadogan Earl (Ref: Cadogan Earl) (ESF15345)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13772)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13493)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12672)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 10:35AM