Monument record IXW 004 - Dover Farm (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9404 6995 (375m by 324m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IXWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
During 1948 excavations of Roman villa (IXW 004) at circa (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) there were 'signs of a late, probably early Saxon, occupation of the ruins' (R1)(S1). Pottery, loom weights (burnt), ? chalk floors.
Also three 'hut' sites located SE of villa at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (all outside scheduled area)(S1)(S4).
1991: Unmaintained, cultivated, at risk.
2008-9: geophysical survey - see Rom.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, card index, maps.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, III 36a 36b ; XCI 67 70 75 ; XCIII 44 48 51 53 54 58 64 ; card index 194 ; maps 52a 53.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, (2), 213.
- <M2> SSF42705 (No record type): Erskine R W, Ms notebook.
- <S2> SSF5766 (No record type): Erskine R W, Ms notebook.
- <M3> SSF42706 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NW13.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2009 9:57AM