Monument record WLD 001 - Church of All Saints (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 282 442 (108m by 97m)|
|Civil Parish||WALDRINGFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
TM 2827 4423 Belgic pottery (double-cordon bowls, butt beaker and storage vessels) found in digging graves on S edge of new extension to churchyard (formerly arable land) - graves of H C Leech 1978 and A E Edgar 1984 to 1985. The latter grave also produced about 30 fragments of clay moulds representing 2 or 3 terrets of Westhall type and possibly a strap-union plate, all mid C1. Pottery is also being eroded out of the S edge of the new churchyard where it abuts an old sand pit (S1). Rom storage jar sherds are also said to have been found (S2). The urn base, said to be BA (S2), is probably a Belgic storage vessel base.
TM 2825 4422 Two trials trenches were dug in October 1985 adjacent to the findspot of the late IA clay mould fragments. These revealed that there had been a 0.9m build up of soil since C1 - the presence of peg tile fragments in the buildup suggests a Med or later date for the accumulation. Sherds of Rom pottery were found in one trench, whilst in the other, closest to the original findspot, the edge of a pit was discovered, which contained a few small fragments of flint gritted IA pottery and some possible mould fragments. It seems likely that all the mould fragments were originally in this pit, now unfortunately largely destroyed by a grave (S5). See also Rom,Sax, Med.
Seemingly identical to record sf7651? (Clare McLannahan, 17/06/05)
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : drawings of mould fragments, sketch plan and trench sections.
- <S1> SSF6631 (No record type): Fraser Mrs M, and site visit by SAU (Martin E), 1985.
- <S2> SSF6633 (No record type): Fraser Mrs M, per IPSMG, 1983.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff 1983, PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 325.
- <S4> SSF7822 Index: 1985. IPSMG, 1984 list, January 1985. IPSMG, 1984 list, January 1985.
- <S5> SSF18039 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1985.
- <S6> SXS50124 Photograph: Norfolk Landscape Archaeology. Norfolk Landscape Archaeology Air Photography. TM282442, JGC 2-3, July 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2015 11:03AM