Monument record STN 001 - Bronze Age round barrow southwest of Little Lodge Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8367 8693 (70m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
1909: Trees on mound (W G Clark). Were taken down by 1935 (R2) (S1) (S2).
Nov 1954: visited by Grace Briscoe who records "838/870 Standing Tum[ulus], diam 30 yds. Outer Bank, diam 50 yds. Tum, about 4-5 ft high. Outer Bank can be traced all round" (S3).
1955: Round barrow 4-5 feet high and a diameter of 30 yards. Surrounded by an outer bank 50 yards in diameter. In good condition on open ground close to wood and road (S1).
20.1.1976: Grass covered with a few clumps of heather, 1.59m high, 27m diameter, in rough pasture at edge of woodland (S2).
1981: Barrow in pasture. Two holes roughly 0.75m square and shallow noted under light snow covering. Outer bank not immediately obvious even under good snow cover (S1).
1986: Site under grass. Some small holes and old tree stumps on mound. Mound dimensions as in 1976. Ditch visible as slight hollow, external bank visible as slight rise approximately 45m in diameter. Ditch and bank fall within Forestry Commisssion plantation to SW. Bank is clipped by track to SE (S1).
April 1998: Scheduled Area revised - slightly increased - details in (S1).
November 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The round barrow described above, which is likely to be of Bronze Age date, is visible on aerial photographs (S4) and on imagery from a recent lidar survey (S5). The outer bank is clearest on the 1940s aerial photographs; traces of a possible inner ditch are visible on the lidar, but their archaeological nature is uncertain.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 30th November 2017.
- <R1> SSF10475 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, The Barrows of E Anglia, EAA, 12,1981.
- <M1> SSF43182 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF18023 (No record type): SAU (Martin E A), 1976 Barrow survey.
- <M2> SSF43183 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL88NW18,.
- <S3> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. notebook containing Tumulus List.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1918 RP 3081-3082 09-JAN-1947 (HEA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Santon Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheet TL88NW/89SW, Mapping Block 1: 'Brecks from Above' NMP Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland National Mapping Programme (NMP) Project (ESF25813)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13566)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF12927)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:34PM