Monument record STN 008 - Highlodge Farm (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 810 848 (384m by 277m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
IA occupation sites S of Highlodge Farm:
Four locations marked within wider area (S1):
'A' - TL 8092 8485 (No notation).
'B' - TL 8092 8488: '19-7-35. On NW side of wide trench cut in sand a black filled semi- circular depression of considerable length, dimensions not ascertainable. Probably all this represents debris of Icenian village dependent for water on Horseshoe Pit and surviving from the IA to Rom C4 colour coated wares'. Also sketch section showing depression to be 12 feet wide and 2 feet 3 inches deep. Location marked from undated 6 inch map of R R Clarke (S1).
'C' - TL 8093 8472: 'Trainess of Ministry of Labour Centre in excavating deep trench (photo in Daily Express 19-7-35) cut through five dark soiled depressions containing burnt matter and scraps of IA pottery'. Also measured section of E side of trench dated '19-7-35?' from undated 6 inch map of R R Clarke (S1).
'D' - TL 8106 8482: 'All hearths thickly covered by dunes of blown sand. They produce masses of IA A and B wares with RB wares. Discovered by H T Green FSA 1927-1928, slight excavation subsequently. Material in Thetford and Ipswich Museums'. From undated 6 inch map of R R Clarke (S1).
Basil Brown "Eighteen sherds (labelled 8) in the IA tradition from hearth under surface soil at High Lodge. Green has better assortment of pottery from this site. Three Rom sherds from same site. R R Clarke 30 December 1937"(S2). Clarke refers to 'A2' and 'AB' IA pottery from site (R1). Apling says pottery from site similar to West Harling series (R2).
See also Rom CRN 07463.
- <S1> SSF15253 (No record type): OS, record map TL88SW.
- <R1> SSF3645 (No record type): Clarke R R, Archaeol J, 95, 1940, 97.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volume.
- <R2> SSF321 (No record type): Apling H, Proc Prehist Soc E Ang, 7, 1932, 122.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 237.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL88SW1,.
- FSF12234: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2016 1:10PM