Monument record SEC 001 - South Elmham Minster (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 307 826 (179m by 186m)|
|Civil Parish||ST CROSS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
South Elmham Minster.
Site sometimes claimed to be the ruins of a C7 Saxon minster, the seat of the early Bishops of Elmham - however, the extant remains are those of an early Med church or chapel (see Med record). Excavations in 1963-1964 did produce sherds claimed as Ipswich ware. The excavations also revealed a fragment of a LSax gravestone with interlace decoration built into the foundation of the later church (S1)(S2).
There is a definite Sax site nearby, SEM 007, on top of the hill near South Elmham Hall.
1991: Said to be at risk of falling down (S3).
Also Med & Rom.
- --- SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey.
- <S1> SSF21300 (No record type): Smedley N & Owles E, Excavations at the Old Minster, South Elmham, PSIA, 32, 1970, (1),.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photographs and drawing of grave slab..
- <M2> SSF43216 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by IPSMG (Smedley N & Owles E) (Ref: IPSMG (Smedley N & Owles E)) (ESF15504)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (Barrett D & SEW) (Ref: SAU (Barrett D & SEW)) (ESF16065)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13571)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF12933)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 10:14AM