Monument record WLW 005 - High Hall (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0262 7165 (108m by 104m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WALSHAM-LE-WILLOWS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectilinear moat, open ended to W, entrance (?) to E. Possible subsiduary enclosure to S, pond to W (S1). N and E sides of main moat now infilled as is W side of possible subsiduary enclosure (S2).
Buildings within and to W of main moated area.
Once one of Walsham manors, circa 1293-1351, called Wyldcattes, when held successively by Roger de Walsham, Nicholas de Walsham, John de Walsham and Edmund Wellys and Margery de Walsham. By 1390 it had become part of the Manor of Walsham (S3).
One sherd unglazed gritty grey ware and two Med keys found. 1934: Excavation in garden on S side near house, small circular sunken structure, brick lined with solid brick floor. Tudor? (S4). 1982: Fieldwalking revealed C13 potsherds.
See also PMed.
- <S1> SSF15254 (No record type): OS, record map TM 07 SW.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: X-rays of keys.
- <S2> SSF15171 (No record type): OS, map 1:10,000, TM 07 SW, 1984.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <S3> SSF5173 Unpublished document: Dodd K M (ed). 1974. The Field Book of Walsham-le-Willows 1577, Suff Rec Soc, 17. 12n,13,33,128.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXIII, 20-23; XCIV, 45; card index 398.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2011 2:21PM