Monument record IKW 002 - Ickworth House; Ickworth Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8155 6136 (201m by 96m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CHEVINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||HORRINGER, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||ICKWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||THE SAXHAMS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ickworth House & Park.
Situated in centre of Ickworth Park. Replaced Ickworth Hall (demolished circa 1710 to make new house, not built - see IKW 001) and Ickworth Lodge (IKW 003) as main seat of Hervey family. Building began on new site circa 1796 for fourth Earl of Bristol. Work carried out under supervision of Francis Sandys (who had built a similar house for the Earl Bishop at Ballyscullion, N Ireland and was also responsible for the Athenaeum at Bury St Edmunds). Plan originally of an oval central block and two large wings intended to house the Earl's collection of works of art. Unfinished at time of his death in 1803 and not completed and occupied until 1828. This later work involved drastic changes, especially to wings (S1).
House consists of a large three-storeyed elliptical rotunda with classical style pilasters and frieze, surmounted by a domed and balustraded top. Two curved corridors connect the rotunda to flanking wings, and a large classical portice fronts the main entrance to the house (S3).
Grounds and earthworks surveyed by Phibbs & Gallagher in 1980 (S2).
For details of Park see (S2) & (S4).
Gardens and pleasure grounds 13.3 ha, 1796 onwards. Deer park c.300 ha of former park of c.800 ha; with work of 1796 by Capability Brown. Walled gardens (S7).
2009: An archaeological monitoring was carried out in the basement of the Rotunda at Ickworth House, which revealed a brick culvert that had been filled with English bond brickwork and foundations relating to the existing walls (S11).
- <S1> SSF22913 (No record type): Webb G, Ickworth House, Archaeol Jour, 108, 1951, 158 (ill).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SW19.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Phibbs survey.
- <S2> SSF16339 (No record type): Phibbs J L & Gallagher C, Ickworth a survey of the landscape, NT, 1980.
- <M2> SSF46714 (No record type): National Trust Estates file: site no. 279.
- <S3> SSF10194 (No record type): Kendrick, E.R.. Kendrick E R, National Trust Archaeol Record Card, E Anglia, site no. 279.
- <M3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP UI 90 & 91; RCHM, 8161/5.
- <S4> SSF10196 (No record type): Kendrick, E.R.. Kendrick E R, National Trust Archaeol Record Card, E Anglia, site no. 282.
- <S5> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs AI 90 & 91, 1957.
- <S6> SSF17473 (No record type): RCHM, AP 8161/5, September 1978.
- <S7> SSF5735 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Interest in England: Pt 39 Suffolk, undat.
- <S8> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/12/18, 1997.
- <S9> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/7. 1 & 7, January 1999.
- <S10> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 815 613, JBZ 13-16, 10 July 1996.
- <S11> SSF50607 Unpublished document: Brooks, R.. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Rotunda Basement, Ickworth House, Ickworth, IKW 017.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2021 3:52PM