Monument record CDD 022 - Vicarage Farm (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1235 5460 (526m by 346m)|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Metal detector finds: bronze coin, probably Trinovantian - obverse: blank, reverse : stylised horse to right (S1).
Further coins: gold quarter stater, Mack 270 (Trinovantian ? Addedomaros); gold quarter stater, unknown type (similar to Sussex Geometrics - Mach 38 but with Apollo head motif, suggested later half of C1 BC); gold stater, Mack 27a (Gallo Belgic E); silver Iceni Boar Horse Allen type B and bronze of Cunobelin (S1)(S2)(S3). Further details on coins in (S4)(S5). Excavation of a small area revealed shallow features containing IA and ESax pottery.
1991: LIA/Rom brooch pin and spring (from Nauheim derivative type?)(S1).
1993?: Ancient forgery of Van Allen 1635-1/Mack 268 (find 2664)(S6).
February 1999: Magnetometer survey by Peter Cott. For results (minimal) see (S7).
2003: Geophysical survey followed by part excavation of site revealed preh pottery, pit/s and post hole/s (recorded as IA). Details in SCCAS Report 2003/66.
1989 Excavation (S8)
Also Preh, Rom, Med & PMed & Un.
- <S1> SSF4820 (No record type): Cummings D & Murrell P (IMDC), 1988, 1991, drawing.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report, (S4) & (S5), drawing.
- <S2> SSF1324 (No record type): BM, Burnett A, letter about unknown type, 1988.
- <M2> SSF43088 (No record type): Photograph: BLC 19-20.
- <S3> SSF7146 (No record type): Gregory T, NAU, letter about unknown type, 1988.
- <S4> SSF828 (No record type): Archibald M M, Coins Found at Coddenham, ms, May 1989.
- <S5> SSF19688 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, map.
- <S6> SSF7737 (No record type): Inst of Archaeol, letter to SAU (JN), May 1993.
- <S7> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Cott P J, Geophysics Survey Report, PJC/45, February 1999, ill.
- <S8> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(1) 1989 p72.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological Evaluation - Vicarage Farm, Coddenham (ESF29096)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (Ref: SAU) (ESF15489)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical survey, Vicarage Farm, Coddenham (Ref: ) (ESF18718)
- Event - Survey: Magnetometer Survey at Vicarage Farm, Coddenham (Ref: ) (ESF18062)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2022 2:36PM