Monument record WSF 029 - Lower Hills, Mill Farm.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0133 7401 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two C15-C16 Med brick kiln were discovered during deep ploughing by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in 1949 and showed as black earth and burnt red clay. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) partially excavated kiln when bricks were found and Basil Brown was advised of the find. Total excavation was not possible but enough sections were excavated to give the kiln size as 9 feet x 9.5 feet in area with walls standing to a height of 4 feet. Three of the walls were made of local clay but the E wall was constructed of brick with two stokeholes or flues, where grey ash was found - 4 or 5 courses of brick remained in situ in this wall. The entire area within the kiln was a mass of black earth, clay and broken bricks. These measured 9.5 inches x 4.5 inches x 2 inches with slight variations and were pale buff in colour, bearing on one side the imprints of the grass on which they had been laid before firing (S1,S2,S3).
The grid reference (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) shown on SAU HER card is incorrect and has been relocated as per Basil Brown's 6 inch OS map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IV, 18-21; VIII, 51-57; LXXXIX, 51-52, XCVI, 12,31,32; site plan 18, map 23a.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, site plan, map.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1951, (2), 215.
- <S3> SSF20692 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 26 2021 3:30PM