Monument record ERL 009 - Caudle Head; Lakenheath Airfield
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7299 8091 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pottery, AD C2 and C3.
Coin, Crispus Caesar, AD 317-326 (S1)(S4)(R1). ? Same as "Roman coin & pottery found AD 1933"(S4)(R2). Information from H Tyrell Green, recorded by Grace Briscoe (S5)(R1).
"Roman site at Caudle Water or Caudle Head." Trumpet brooch found by Mr Willaims, Hinderclay sent to Ivan Moore in Cambridge 21/8/193? for vetting (S2).
"Many Roman objects, including coins, are found here. The probable centre is at Caudle Water (Caudle Head) on the Elveden estate. Many Romano-British objects have been found in the vicinity" (S3).
Part of large settlement scatter - see also LKH 030, 031, 032 - with burials ERL 023, 024.
See also ERL 15.
- <R1> SSF11335 (No record type): MIHLM, record map.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW25.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes.
- <R2> SSF12908 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1958.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 13.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXXVIII, 33.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW27.
- <S5> SSF16363 (No record type): Phillips C W, The Fenland in Rom Times, London, 1970, 243.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 15 1990 12:00AM