Monument record BRC 001 - Bradfield Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 895 573 (93m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Scheduled Monument - Moat, square, unoccupied, close to church (S1).
Moat, Bradfield Hall (site of) marked on OS map 1:10560, 1958 (S2). An impressive moated site, possibly made more impressive when the new Hall was built beside it in the C19 (by Arthur Young, the agriculturalist)(also see BRC 005). It is traditionally the site of the Hall burnt down at the time of the riots against Bury Abbey in 1327 (which are said to be commemorated in the parish name, though note Dymond and Northeast 1985, who suggest the burnt Bradfield Hall was that in the abbey grounds - following Whittingham) though 'Bradefeld Combusta' is already recorded in Feudal Aids by 1302/3. The platform is about 45 x 35 paces. The moat is 12-13 feet below it and about 8-10 feet below an outer bank which exists only on the N and W sides and may not be original. This bank is itself about 3 feet 6 inches above the surrounding ground. All in good condition in unploughed parkland. Five old trees on top of the platform (S3).
In good condition under pasture, grazed by cattle. 4 old trees (one now cut down) of original 5. Moat broad and dry. Apparent trench approximately 5 x 0.5 x 0.5m dug into platform on W (S3).
Site visited 29/4/1980 to observe electric cable trench and posthole on N side of moat. All undisturbed boulder clay except obliquely sectioned ditch or hollow way (?) approach to moat. No finds except small turned bone ring, possibly Pmed from spoil of sectioned ditch, and 2 animal bones found by workers. Trench and posthole positioned to avoid bank on N side of moat (S4).
1988: St Edmundsbury Planning Committee approved application by Bradfield Hall Development to convert Hall, out-buildings and barn into 17 flats (S5).
May 2001: Scheduled area revised (S3).
Note : House Recorded in same general area on Tithe Map - See BRC 005
See also (R1)
Bradfield Combust al Roos Manor now Bradfield Hall.
1234 Linked with Felsham, R. Peche
1314 Inquis p.m. of T. Fitz-Talbott.
C14th Bodlesmere family owns. Then Lord Roos by marriage/inheritance.
1539 Linked to HGW, RGH, RBK, WFG, BSG.
1620 Young family owns.
Sub manor COK 002 Sutton Hall
- <S1> SSF18198 Source Unchecked: West Dr S E. ND. SAU (West S E), undated. SAU (West S E), undated.
- <R1> SSF23224 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk, 1993.
- <M1> SSF41000 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF15184 (No record type): OS, map 1:10560 provisional edition, 1958.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4) includes sketch plan and section.
- <M3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR 13355/3,4.
- <S3> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF18151 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), site report, April 1980 and correspondence.
- <S5> SSF4890 (No record type): Cutting from Mercury newspaper, 14 October 1988.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2022 11:25AM